Thursday, March 19, 2009

Horsey Questionnaire

I saw this horse questionnaire on Once Upon on Equine's site and decided it looked like fun.  Feel free to join in!  

1. How old were you when you first started riding?  I started riding a real horse at about the age of 12 but I rode the hell out of my rocking horse as soon as I could get on him by myself.
 
2. First horse ridden:  I believe it was probably a rental horse in Alabama.

3. First horse trotted on:  My best friends pony, Starlite.

4. First horse cantered on: That would also probably be Starlite.
 
5. First Horse fallen off of:  Star wins again!  I was riding double behind my best friend, Alysha, when she urged him into a trot.  Well, I started to lean sideways and took Alysha with me.  We always did like to do things together.

6. Most recent horse fallen off of:  Gosh, it has been awhile, probably my old mare Angel.
 
7. Most terrifying fall:  Falling onto the pavement when a dog rushed out and scared my pony while we were cantering along the side of the road.  

8. First horse jumped with: Probably Star.

9. First horse who ran away with you: Either Star or Applejack.
 
10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: Applejack

11. First horse shown :!)  Shiloh, a big bay Appy with a blanket.  We got fifth place.  I was in love!  With Shiloh and with showing.

12. First horse to win a class with:  Either Duke or Angel.

13. Do you/have you taken lessons: Yes, sporadically.

14. First horse you ever rode bareback:  Starlite, again.

15. First horse trail ridden with:  Either Star or Applejack.

16. Current Barn name:  I don't really feel comfortable putting the name of my barn out there for the world to see on the internet.

17. Do you ride English or western?: Both
 
18. First Horse to place at a show with: Shiloh
 
19. Ever been to horse camp?:  Yes, 4-H.  I was fun!

20. Ever been to a riding clinic?  Not one that I have participated in but I have watched before.

21. Ridden sidesaddle?  Not with a real side saddle, however I have hooked my leg over the horn of my western saddle many times.
 
22. First horse leased:  Applejack
 
23. Last Horse Leased:  Applejack

24. Highest ribbon in a show: 1st

25. Ever been to an 'A' rated show?:  I guess not an 'A' rated show as I don't do the hunter jumper thing but I have shown at a Paint Horse breed show before.

26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?:  Yes.

27. Ever fallen off at a show?  Sadly, yes, twice.
 
28. Do you ride Hunter/Jumpers?: No
 
29. Have you ever barrel raced?  Only at local play-day gymkhana type things.

30. Ever done pole bending?:  Again, only at local play days

31. Favorite gait:  A nice comfortable trot.

32. Ever cantered bareback?:  Many times.  I didn't own a saddle for the first year that we had my pony.  Just couldn't afford one.

33. Have you ever done dressage?:  Just played with some of the test before, nothing serious.
 
34. Have you ever evented?:  No.

35. Have you ever mucked a stall?:  Many a time.

36. Ever been bucked off?:  Yeah, who hasn't?

37. Ever been on a horse that reared:   Yes, thanks, Applejack.

38. Horses or ponies.  Probably horses.

39. Do you wear a helmet?:  Mostly.  I am a mom now, no good reason not to.

40. What's the highest you've jumped:  I don't often stop to measure the logs in the woods but probably about three feet.
 
41. Have you ever ridden at night?:  Yes, moonlit snowy nights are awesome!

42. Do you watch horsey television shows?:  Every chance I get.
 
43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall?:  Thankfully, other than my pride, no.

44. Most falls in one lesson:  I don't think I ever fell off during a lesson.  Come close but never actually came off.

45. Do you ride in an arena/ring?:  When it suits me.
 
46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse?:  Again, come close, but thankfully no.
 
47. Have you ever been bitten?:  Been nipped but never a full on bite.

48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse?:  Yes, many times.  One time in particular my mare was wearing rolled toe shoes.  I think she broke my toe, it felt floppy for a few days but I didn't bother with the doctor.

49: Favorite riding moment:  There are so many, I can't pick just one.
 
50. Most fun horse you've ridden:  Either my mare Angel or my friends horse Buck.  Although, Dandy and Grit were really awesome too.  Except for that time that Dandy took me through the apple tree, gave me cut under my eye and people gave my mother dirty looks for days about it.

The picture below is me at about age 15 with my mare Angel and my pony Applejack.  Good times!

1 comment:

Once Upon an Equine said...

That was fun to read. Great picture. And I love your comment about riding your rocking horse. Thanks!