Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Camp St. Malo

Thank you to all those who posted comments on my procrastination post. It's nice to know that I am not alone. My hopes for a cure, however, have dwindled!

I had a question about the picture that I posted along with my Simple Woman's Daybook entry. The picture is of the Chapel on the Rocks at Camp St. Malo. Camp St. Malo is a Catholic Retreat, Conference and Spiritual Center according to it's website which can be found here Camp St. Malo The Chapel is still in use. In fact the day that we were there and I took those pictures there was a mens choir practicing inside and you could hear them outside. The doors are unlocked and you can go inside for a look around but they do ask that you please close the door as they have had problems in the past with animals entering the chapel. It is a very lovely chapel and has been well kept up. My pictures may have made it look harsh or deserted because I was taking them at about 11:00 in the morning which is not the best light. I also do not have Photoshop or any photoediting software so those shots are straight out of the camera.


I would highly recommend stopping here and looking around if you are tooling around the scenic back roads of Colorado. Camp St. Malo is located on Hwy. 7 also known as the Peak to Peak highway. It is about 4 miles north of Allenspark and you can't miss it, the chapel sits very close to the road. It is easier to see if you are coming from the south. Coming from the north I think the driveway is right next to some trees so you might miss it and have to turn around to actually pull in and park.

We made a day of going up there and went onto Estes Park for lunch and a look around the Stanley Hotel. The Stanley Hotel was the inspiration for Stephen King's book "The Shining." I was a Stephen King fan during my teen years, what with us both being from Maine and all, but I have gotten to be a scardey cat in my older years and just can't read his books anymore. One other notable thing is that F.O. Stanley, the man who built the Stanley Hotel (he was also the creator of the Stanley Steamer. The car not the cleaning service.) is that he was also from Maine. I believe he had contracted TB and had moved to Colorado for the dry air. Here is the link for the Stanley, they have much better pictures than what I took. The Stanley Hotel

1 comment:

Flying Lily said...

I played a concert at the Stanley Hotel once! I was in the Mostly Strauss orchestra based in Denver, and we played dances for waltz clubs. I was freaked about being there after dark. I will never get over reading The Shining, never. Nor will I get over playing violin 2 in Strauss waltzes: oom pa pa, oom pa pa, for HOURS.