Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Horse Treats

It seems I am a blogging fool today, what with this being my third post and all.

Anyways, onto the horse treats.  Today I made some horse treats for my little beauty.  From scratch.  My family doesn't even get this most of the time.  I decided to try this because

1. I saw the recipes in Horse Illustrated a couple of months ago and 

2. The horse treats Rosie likes are are like $3 a bag and only have about six treats in them. 

Which is okay if you only use them once in awhile.  I tend to use them more often.  I didn't used to.  When I was a teenager and had horses my mom was the treat dispenser.  In fact I thought people who made treats for their horses had way too much time on their hands.  My, how times have changed!

This is the recipe I used:

Carrot/Apple Horse Cookies

1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated apple
2 Tbsp. corn oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp. salt
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour

Combine the grated carrot, grated apple, corn oil, and molasses in a mixing bowl and blend well.  Gradually fold in the salt, rolled oats and flour and continue blending.  Drop the dough by spoonfuls two inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

I got this recipe from the November 2008 issue of Horse Illustrated.

Getting started:  Assemble ingredients 




Let me just say that I love my Kitchen Aid mixer.  It is so very handy to just dump the ingredients in and walk away while it mixes everything together for you.  I highly recommend one if you are at all thinking about getting one.





First four ingredients blended together:

















Then the remaining ingredients are then mixed in and it looks like this:



















Once everything is all mixed together it is time to put them on the pan and into the oven.



















And this is what you are left with!









Kidding, kidding!!!









Here is the real final product:








Look good enough to eat don't they?  Hopefully Rosie will think so too.







These do need to be refrigerated or they will go bad.  I put some in the fridge and then some in the freezer.  I got 20 cookies out of this batch.  

I had to laugh, when my husband came home he hadn't even made it to the kitchen yet and he said "you made horse treats didn't you?"  So I said that I had and then he responded that he wished that I made regular cookies as often as I made horse cookies.  Now, he isn't totally deprived, I just made Oatmeal Scotchies last week.  Before that though I can't remember the last time that I made people cookies.  

3 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Yippee! I was hunting for a good horse treat recipe just yesterday. these look delish. Thanks for posting it along with the photos!!

Mo said...

Gotta luv anybody that makes homemade treats for their pets!! (I found you via The Simple Woman's Daybook, BTW)

I don't *have* horses, but I do think they're beautiful!

Hope you have a great weekend~!

backattheranch said...

These look good enough for us! lol Thanks for the recipe