Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feathered Fantasy

I have this dream, a dream that I indulge in from time to time, sometimes during the night and sometimes during the middle of the day.  There are feathers.  Red feathers, black feathers and sometimes buff colored feathers.  They are everywhere and I run my hands over the silky smoothness of them... 

Now I will let you in on a little secret, I have strange fantasies.  No kidding, your probably thinking.  My fantasies involve.... are you ready?  Chickens.  Yes, chickens.  I want a little flock of hens to call my very own.  Just a few.  Enough to give me a couple of fresh eggs every morning.  My favorite breeds would be Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks.  





Aren't they beautiful? Sorry I couldn't make the picture of the Rhode Island Red a little smaller. It just didn't work. Anyways, we had chickens when I was kid and although I thought they were messy (my mother let them have free rein of our entire place) we didn't really have a problem with bugs and the eggs were great.




Sadly, I currently live in suburbia and chickens are considered livestock. I say sadly for more reasons than one but let's just stick with the chickens for now. Oh, and don't think that I haven't thought about just getting some and trying to hide them in the garage cause I have. I don't think it would work though as most of the houses around mine are two story and can see right into my backyard (no topless sunbathing for me!) so if I ever let them out I would be so busted. Nevermind the fact that when they are laying eggs they tend to be a bit vocal about it.

So for now I just let my little flock live in my head, peacefully clucking and scratching just waiting for the day when they can be more than a fantasy....

2 comments:

~*~Lysh~*~ said...

so I guess it would be really really mean for me to tell you that my hay lady hatches chicks to sell every spring and as of yesterday knows I'm anxiously awaiting her chicks so I can FINALLY have chickens of my own....ones that can survive without HEATED WATERERS! LOL Wonder if I can still remember my chicken speak....remember that??

Rocky Mountain Yankee said...

Yes, it would be really mean of you to tell me that!! Oh well, I guess I will survive. I don't remember the chicken speak, you're going to have to refresh my memory on that one.